4.804-1 Closeout by the office administering the contract.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, time standards for closing out contract files are as follows:
(1) Files for contracts using simplified acquisition procedures should be considered closed when the contracting officer receives evidence of receipt of property and final payment, unless otherwise specified by agency regulations.
(2) Files for firm-fixed-price contracts, other than those using simplified acquisition procedures, should be closed within 6 months after the date on which the contracting officer receives evidence of physical completion.
(3) Files for contracts requiring settlement of indirect cost rates should be closed within 36 months of the month in which the contracting officer receives evidence of physical completion.
(4) Files for all other contracts should be closed within 20 months of the month in which the contracting officer receives evidence of physical completion.
(b) When closing out the contract files at 4.804-1(a)(2), (3), and (4), the contracting officer shall use the closeout procedures at 4.804-5. However, these closeout actions may be modified to reflect the extent of administration that has been performed. Quick closeout procedures (see 42.708) should be used, when appropriate, to reduce administrative costs and to enable deobligation of excess funds.
(c) A contract file shall not be closed if-
(1) The contract is in litigation or under appeal; or
(2) In the case of a termination, all termination actions have not been completed.