PART 5315 - Contracting by Negotiation
Revised:2 May 2022
SUBPART 5315.3 — SOURCE SELECTION
5315.300 Scope of Subpart
See MP5315.3 Source Selection for required Air Force Source Selection responsibilities and procedures.
(a) When a waiver to the requirement at DFARS 215.371-2 is sought, the contracting officer should provide the following documentation to support the waiver request:
(1) Summary of market research that documents that competition was anticipated, process used to maximize competition pre-solicitation, and description of solicitation method;
(2) Rationale why re-advertising for an additional 30 days will likely not obtain two or more offers.
(3) Rationale for how the price/cost will be determined fair and reasonable with only one offeror.
SUBPART 5315.4 — CONTRACT PRICING
5315.403-1 Prohibition on Obtaining Certified Cost or Pricing Data ( 10 U.S.C. 2306a and 41 U.S.C. , Chapter 35 )
(c) Standards for exceptions from certified cost or pricing data requirements.
(A) Exceptional case TINA waiver. Submit the request for an exceptional case TINA waiver through the SCO to SAF/AQC for HCA approval (see MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix )). When the waiver is for a subcontractor who has refused to provide cost or pricing data to a prime contractor, the information required must cover both the prime contract and the subcontract. Contracting officers must submit a copy of all signed TINA waivers to HQ AFMC/PKQ via the HQ AFMC/PK workflow account within 30 days of signature by the HCA. Submit the request for OUSD(A&S)/DPC approval to use the exceptional circumstances waiver pursuant to Class Deviation 2019-O0008, Section 890 Pilot Program to Accelerate Contracting and Pricing Processes, to SAF/AQC with the Subject: "AFFARS 5315.403-1(c)(4)(A) ? Section 890 Pilot Program to Accelerate Contracting and Pricing Processes."
5315.403-3 Requiring Data Other Than Certified Cost or Pricing Data
(a)(6)(ii) See MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix. SCOs must ensure the required information has been uploaded into the Contractor Denials of Data Requests information within 25 days following the end of the quarter. Negative reports are required.
5315.403-4 Requiring Certified Cost or Pricing Data ( 10 U.S.C. 2306a and 41 U.S.C. , Chapter 35 )
(a)(2) The contracting officer must submit the Determination and Findings through their SCO to SAF/AQC for HCA signature (see MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix ).
5315.404-1-90 Pricing Assistance or Pricing Assistance Waiver
(a)Required thresholds for requesting pricing assistance:
$25M or more
$10M or more
$100M or more
(b) See MP5315.404-1-90 Pricing Assistance or Pricing Assistance Waiver for procedures for requesting pricing assistance.
(c) See MP5315.404-1-90 Pricing Assistance or Pricing Assistance Waiver for procedures for requesting a pricing assistance waiver for actions that meet or exceed the required thresholds identified in 5315.404-1-90(a).
5315.404-2 Data to Support Proposal Analysis
(c)(2)(C)(2)See MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix.
5315.404-70-90 DD Form 1547, Record of Weighted Guidelines Method Application, Report Control Symbol: DD-AT&L(Q)1751
HQ AFMC/PK is the designated Air Force focal point for weighted guidelines reporting. DD Form 1547s shall be prepared and reported using the web-based Weighted Guidelines (WGL) Application. The SCO shall appoint a WGL Administrator at each geographic location. The responsibilities of the WGL Administrator are outlined in the WGL Administrator's Guide. Refer to the web-enabled version of the Profit WGL Application and User Application Guides (Users and Administrators).
5315.405 Price Negotiation
(d) In situations where a contractor inadequately supports the proposed price as fair and reasonable despite all attempts by the contracting officer to secure adequate justification through negotiations, these situations should be elevated and documented as described herein. When the contractor insists on a cost/price or demands a profit or fee that the contracting officer considers unreasonable, the contracting officer shall notify the authority one level above the contracting officer and immediately submit an Egregious Pricing Incident Report Form to the HCA. The contracting officer shall also inform the contractor that such action has been taken and continue to attempt to negotiate a fair and reasonable cost/price.
(1) If the Egregious Pricing situation is not resolved through negotiations, the offeror is ineligible for award unless the HCA determines, in writing, that it is in the best interest of the Government to make award to that offeror, based on consideration of the following:
(i) The program or mission partner need for the item(s) or service(s) in terms of the specific mission contribution;
(ii) The challenges to reaching and efforts made to reach a fair and reasonable cost/price; and
(iii) Increased cost or harm to the Government if award is not made.
(2) The PEO or Wing Commander (or other corresponding authority) and SCO shall certify to the HCA that the conditions listed in 5315.405(d)(1) exist and award should be made. AFFARS SUBPART 5301.7 – DETERMINATIONS AND FINDINGS provides instructions for the submission of the Determination and Findings (D&F).
(3) Contracting officers, with coordination from the cognizant SCO, must report price negotiation situations, where 5315.405(d)(1) applies, to SAF/AQC no later than 30 days after negotiations have concluded. Update the Egregious Pricing Incident Report Form completed under 5315.405(d) with post-negotiation information and submit a copy of the final negotiation memorandum and D&F as attachments.
(4) The procedures specified in 5315.405(d)(1-3) above apply to situations where certified cost and pricing data are required and to situations when certified cost and pricing data are not required. If used in situations where other than certified cost or pricing data is required and FAR 15.403-3(a)(4) applies, contracting officers should also complete reporting requirements required under 5315.403-3(a)(6)(ii) above.
5315.406-1 Prenegotiation Objectives
(b)(ii) Adjudication Procedures .The contracting officer must forward DCAA requests for Air Force management review through their management chain, and provide the SCO name and contact information to the cognizant DCAA representative. If disagreements remain, the SCO must elevate the issue to SAF/AQC to support any request from DCAA for further elevation of the issue(s).
(b)(90) A Preliminary Price Negotiation Memorandum (PPNM) is required for all actions of $10M or more. The AF PPNM template may be tailored for use.
5315.406-3 Documenting the Negotiation
(a) See the Price Negotiation Memorandum (PNM) Checklist that may be used to ensure PNMs contain all required information. For contract actions valued below the Truthful Cost or Pricing Data threshold, the AF Streamlined PNM Format for supplies or services is available for use. If the value of the contract action exceeds the Truthful Cost or Pricing Data threshold and no exception to the Truthful Cost or Pricing Data threshold applies, pricing documentation is expected to address the cost element composition of the proposed, objective, and negotiated positions at an appropriate level of detail based on the value and complexity of the pricing action. The final PNM template and streamlined PNM templates for supplies or services may be tailored for use.
5315.407-3 Forward Pricing Rate Agreements
5315.407-4 Should-cost Review
(b) Program should-cost review.
(4) The contracting office organizes and manages the program should-cost review. The team chief is responsible for the completion of the should-cost review team report.
5315.407-90 Contract Audit Follow-Up (CAFU)
Follow MP5315.407-90 Contract Audit Follow-up (CAFU) for conducting CAFU activities.
5315.408 Solicitation Provisions and Contract Clauses
(2)(i)(A)(2) See MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix.
(ii)(A)(2) See MP5301.601 (a)(i) Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) Matrix.
SUBPART 5315.6 — UNSOLICITED PROPOSALS
5315.606 Agency Procedures
See MP5315.606-90 Receipt, Evaluation, and Disposition of Unsolicited Proposals for points of contact and procedures for controlling the receipt, handling, evaluation, and timely disposition of unsolicited proposals.