801.602-83 Documents to submit for legal or technical review - contract modifications.
(a) The documents specified in this section related to proposed contract modifications must be submitted to Acquisition Resources Service for review under one or more of the following conditions:
(1) When the total modification value is $100,000 or more.
(2) When the modification is for a time extension of 60 days or more.
(3) Where the contractor takes exception to VA's accord and satisfaction language.
(b) The contracting officer must submit the following documents for review:
(1) A draft of the proposed modification prepared on SF 30, Amendment of Solicitation/Modification of Contract, specifying the exact language proposed and describing any change in work, time, or cost.
(2) A statement describing the need for the changed work with any back-up documentation, including a copy of the general statement of work in the original contract and any existing contract language that will be modified.
(3) A statement addressing whether the proposed modification is within the original scope of the contract and specifically addressing the facts considered in reaching the conclusion.
(4) A statement analyzing what necessitated the modification (e.g., a design error, technical changes, or medical center requirements).
(5) The contracting officer's technical representative's (COTR) technical evaluation of the proposed change.
(6) A memorandum from the appropriate office indicating that funds are available or a statement concerning the actions that must be taken to secure the required funds.
(7) The names and telephone numbers of the contracting officer and COTR.
(8) Costing information including the following:
(i) The contractor's cost proposal in the format required by the contract.
(ii) The COTR's independent cost evaluation.
(iii) The architect/engineer's independent cost evaluation, if applicable and available.
(iv) The contracting officer's Price Negotiation Memorandum under FAR 15.406-3.
(v) Any other relevant costing information, such as independent market research, that VA used or will use as negotiation criteria.
(c) For a proposed modification to an architect/engineer contract, the contracting officer must submit for review each document specified in paragraph (b) of this section and the following additional documents.
(1) A listing of the fees awarded in the original contract and previous modifications.
(2) For a working drawing contract, a statement regarding the actual or estimated cost of the original construction and any estimated change to the overall project cost as a result of the proposed modification.
(d) For a modification to a construction contract or, where applicable, to an architect/engineer contract, the contracting officer must submit for review a copy of the COTR's mark-up of any drawing that delineates the proposed changed work, including a copy of any pertinent technical specifications. When there is a proposed modification involving numerous changes to drawings and specifications for a VA Central Office project, the drawings and specifications must be available for review in the Office of the Project Director in VA Central Office.