Subpart 213.3 - SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION METHODS
213.301 Governmentwide commercial purchase card.
Follow the procedures at PGI 213.301 for authorizing, establishing, and operating a Governmentwide commercial purchase card program.
(1) “United States,” as used in this section, means the 50 States and the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Wake Island, Johnston Island, Canton Island, the outer Continental Shelf, and any other place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States (but not including leased bases).
(2) An individual appointed in accordance with 201.603-3 (a) also may use the Governmentwide commercial purchase card to make a purchase that exceeds the micro-purchase threshold but does not exceed $25,000, if—
(i) The purchase—
(A) Is made outside the United States for use outside the United States; and
(B) Is for a commercial product or commercial service; but
(C) Is not for work to be performed by employees recruited within the United States;
(D) Is not for supplies or services originating from, or transported from or through, sources identified in FAR Subpart 25.7;
(E) Is not for ball or roller bearings as end items;
(F) Does not require access to classified or Privacy Act information; and
(G) Does not require transportation of supplies by sea; and
(ii) The individual making the purchase—
(A) Is authorized and trained in accordance with agency procedures;
(B) Complies with the requirements of FAR 8.002 in making the purchase; and
(C) Seeks maximum practicable competition for the purchase in accordance with FAR 13.104(b).
(3) A contracting officer supporting a contingency operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(13) or a humanitarian or peacekeeping operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 3015(2) also may use the Governmentwide commercial purchase card to make a purchase that exceeds the micro-purchase threshold but does not exceed the simplified acquisition threshold, if—
(i) The supplies or services being purchased are immediately available;
(ii) One delivery and one payment will be made; and
(iii) The requirements of paragraphs (2)(i) and (ii) of this section are met.
(4) The contracting officer shall not authorize the Governmentwide commercial purchase card as a method of payment during any contract period of performance if the contract includes the clause at FAR 52.229-12, Tax on Certain Foreign Procurements, unless the contract also includes the clause at 252.229-7014, Full Exemption from Two-Percent Excise Tax on Certain Foreign Procurements, indicating that the contractor is fully exempt from the tax.
(5) Guidance on DoD purchase, travel, and fuel card programs is available in the “Department of Defense Government Charge Card Guidebook for Establishing and Managing Purchase, Travel, and Fuel Card Programs” at https://www.acq.osd.mil/asda/dpc/ce/pc/docs-guides.html . Additional guidance on the fuel card programs is available at https://www.dla.mil/Energy/Offers/Products/GovernmentFuel/.
213.302 Purchase orders.
213.302-3 Obtaining contractor acceptance and modifying purchase orders.
(1) Require written acceptance of purchase orders for classified acquisitions.
(2) See PGI 213.302-3 for guidance on the use of unilateral modifications.
(3) A supplemental agreement converts a unilateral purchase order to a bilateral agreement. If not previously included in the purchase order, incorporate the clause at 252.243-7001 , Pricing of Contract Modifications, in the Standard Form 30, and obtain the contractor’s acceptance by signature on the Standard Form 30.
(a) Use the clause at 252.243-7001, Pricing of Contract Modifications, in all bilateral purchase orders.
(d) When using the clause at FAR 52.213-4, delete the reference to the clause at FAR 52.225-1, Buy American - Supplies. Instead, if the Buy American Act applies to the acquisition, use the clause at -
(i) 252.225-7001, Buy American Act and Balance of Payments Program, as prescribed at 225.1101(2); or
(ii) 252.225-7036, Buy American Act - Free Trade Agreements - Balance of Payments Program, as prescribed at 225.1101(10).
213.303 Blanket purchase agreements (BPAs).
213.303-5 Purchases under BPAs.
(b) Individual purchases for subsistence may be made at any dollar value; however, the contracting officer must satisfy the competition requirements of FAR Part 6 for any action not using simplified acquisition procedures.
213.305 Imprest funds and third party drafts.
213.305-3 Conditions for use.
(d)(i) On a very limited basis, installation commanders and commanders of other activities with contracting authority may be granted authority to establish imprest funds and third party draft (accommodation check) accounts. Use of imprest funds and third party drafts must comply with—
(A) DoD 7000.14-R, DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 5, Disbursing Policy and Procedures; and
(B) The Treasury Financial Manual, Volume I, Part 4, Chapter 3000.
(ii) Use of imprest funds requires approval by the Director for Financial Commerce, Office of the Deputy Chief Financial Officer, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), except as provided in paragraph (d)(iii) of this subsection.
(iii) Imprest funds are authorized for use without further approval for—
(A) Overseas transactions at or below the micro-purchase threshold in support of a contingency operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(13) or a humanitarian or peacekeeping operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 3015(2); and
(B) Classified transactions.
213.306 SF 44, Purchase Order-Invoice-Voucher.
(a)(1) The micro-purchase limitation applies to all purchases, except that purchases not exceeding the simplified acquisition threshold may be made for—
(A) Fuel and oil. U.S. Government fuel cards may be used in lieu of an SF 44 for fuel, oil, and authorized refueling-related items (see PGI 213.306 for procedures on use of fuel cards);
(B) Overseas transactions by contracting officers in support of a contingency operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 101(a)(13) or a humanitarian or peacekeeping operation as defined in 10 U.S.C. 2302(8); and
(C) Transactions in support of intelligence and other specialized activities addressed by 2.7 of Executive Order 12333.
See PGI 213.307 for procedures on use of forms for purchases made using simplified acquisition procedures.