(a) Elements of a PIID. DoD-issued PIIDs are thirteen characters in length. Use only alpha-numeric characters, as prescribed in FAR 4.1603 and this subpart. Do not use the letter I or O in any part of the PIID.
(3) Position 9.
(A) DoD will use three of the letters reserved for departmental or agency use in FAR 4.1603(a)(3) in this position as follows:
(1) Use M to identify purchase orders and task or delivery orders issued by the enterprise FedMall system.
(2) Use S to identify broad agency announcements.
(3) Use T to identify automated requests for quotations by authorized legacy contract writing systems. See PGI 204.1603 (a)(3)(A)(3) for the list of authorized systems.
(B) Do not use other letters identified in FAR 4.1603(a)(3) as “Reserved for future Federal Governmentwide use” or “Reserved for departmental or agency use” in position 9 of the PIID.
(C) Do not use the letter C or H for contracts or agreements with provisions for orders or calls.
(4) Positions 10 through 17. In accordance with FAR 4.1603(a)(4), DoD-issued PIIDs shall only use positions 10 through 13 to complete the PIID. Enter the serial number of the instrument in these positions. A separate series of serial numbers may be used for any type of instrument listed in FAR 4.1603(a)(3). DoD components assign such series of PIID numbers sequentially. A DoD component may reserve blocks of numbers or alpha-numeric numbers for use by its various activities.
(b) Elements of a supplementary PIID. In addition to the supplementary PIID numbering procedures in FAR 4.1603(b), follow the procedures contained in paragraphs (b)(2)(ii)(1) and (2) of this section. See PGI 204.1603 (b) for examples of proper supplementary PIID numbering.
(2)(ii) Positions 2 through 6. In accordance with FAR 4.1603(b)(2)(ii), DoD-issued supplementary PIIDs shall, for positions 2 through 6 of modifications to contracts and agreements, comply with the following:
(1) Positions 2 and 3. These two digits may be either alpha or numeric characters, except—
(i) Use K, L, M, N, P, and Q only in position 2, and only if the modification is issued by the Air Force and is a provisioned item order;
(ii) Use S only in position 2, and only to identify modifications issued to provide initial or amended shipping instructions when—
(a) The contract has either FOB origin or destination delivery terms; and
(b) The price changes;
(iii) Use T, U, V, W, X, or Y only in position 2, and only to identify modifications issued to provide initial or amended shipping instructions when—
(a) The contract has FOB origin delivery terms; and
(b) The price does not change; and
(iv) Use Z only in position 2, and only to identify a modification which definitizes a letter contract or a previously issued undefinitized modification.
(2) Positions 4 through 6. These positions are always numeric. Use a separate series of serial numbers for each type of modification listed in paragraph (b)(2)(ii) of this section.